Monday, April 27, 2009 | Author: Jacob
The last couple of weeks we've been exploring a set of islands that are part of a national marine sanctuary. It's so beautiful here; turquoise water that is crystal clear, fish swimming up around your feet as soon as you get into the water, white sandy beaches, the whole deal. At night the phosphorescence is incredible, we can see fish swimming in the water by their trail of light, and little bugs on the surface look like stars.

Somewhere along the line I set a goal for myself to master the art of making pressure cooker bread. How hard can it be? My oven bread was successful, we comfortably ate meals involving bread and buns baked in the oven. At every anchorage I diligently get up in the morning and foam the yeast, knead the bread, let the dough rise and pop it in the pressure cooker. Every time it comes out a disaster and we're eating crustless chunks of smokey bread that I've salvaged from the ashes. I've also scarred the bottom of the pressure cooker with all these failed attempts and each afternoon spend time chipping chunks of black char off the bottom.

I've tried low heat, high heat, raising the pressure cooker off the flame, stacking pans underneath so the pressure cooker is really high off the flame, coating the inside with flour, leaving it bare, nothing has been successful so far. I am aware that time is ticking, a couple more short weeks and we will be in San Carlos prepping Pisces for the summer on the hard and the pressure cooker will stay here this summer.

While others call this stunning area "the Polynesia of Baja" it will always be called "the anchorages of burnt bread" in my mind.

I'm off to foam some yeast and try again. Maybe today's my lucky day!

Lat 26 06' N, Long 111 17 W

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On April 27, 2009 at 10:24 AM , Greg Rudzinski said...

J&J

I have never attempted bread in a pressure cooker but I have burned many things (beans,rice, split peas). What I do to keep from carbonizing the bottom of the pot is to raise the contents off the bottom with one of those expandable stainless basket things. This creates about an inch of space between the contents and the bottom. Also try reducing the flame a bit once max pressure is reached.

Greg