Tuesday, May 18, 2010 | Author: Jacob
One of the oft-repeated pieces of cruiser advice is to always do the 'stingray shuffle' when you are walking in shallow water. Stingrays nestle down into the sand becoming invisible, just waiting to be stepped on by the unsuspecting swimmer. By shuffling your feet along the bottom you are supposedly able to clear your path of any hiding stingrays. Unfortunately, it turns out this is not 100% effective. Take the case where you happen to shuffle up on a stingray whose barb is pointed at you, and instead of shuffling into his body (sending him gliding safely off) you bump his business end sending him lashing away.

Well, that's how our lovely hike ended today, after we decided to avoid about a half-mile of scrambling over rocky hills by wading through several hundred yards of crystal-clear warm chest-deep water. I managed to shuffle right into the sharp end of a stingray, who flicked his barb, cutting me on the side of my middle-toe (not exactly sure how he managed that). The pain was shocking, and it literally knocked me off my feet, soaking the backpack I had been carrying on my head. It was really remarkable how much pain those little guys inflict, and as I stumbled out of the water, my whole body was shaking and I could barely put any weight on my foot. All this within the span of about 60 seconds. I was able to limp along another hundred yards or so, until Julia was able to get back with the dinghy and rush me back to Pisces. At this point my whole leg was aching, and my upper leg had begun twitching periodically. Oh yeah, most of my toe turned a nice color purple too. That was encouraging.

We got back to the boat and realized that although we were well prepared with medicine, we had slacked a bit on staying organized with the 'how-to' guides. Thankfully we were able to dig out "The Waterlover's Guide to Marine Medicine' by Paul G. Gill, Jr., M.D. It's really a great book, and following the treatment guidelines in it we were able to quickly get the pain down to a manageable amount and get everything cleaned up. One of the nice things about this particular book is that in addition to the clear step-by-step guides to treating everything from Bristleworm Rash to Toothache is that Dr. Gill doesn't hesitate to sprinkle in some nice descriptive adjectives ('stings cause immediate, agonizing, pulsating, or burning pain') as well as a good helping of anecdotes to help lighten the treatment-crisis mood. Take this one prefacing the section on stingrays:

'While exploring Chesapeake Bay, Captain John Smith hopped out of a boat barefoot onto a stingray, which had the temerity to stick its dart into his leg. It was a foolish act on the part of the fish, for Smith was no common man. Instead of trying to get clear of it, Smith held it to the bottom with his foot, drew his hanger, hacked the fish to pieces and ate several collops raw. - from Horace Beck, Folklore and the Sea

Nice. So not only am I in agonizing, pulsating, pain, but now I get to read about this guy killing and eating the offending stingray and compare that to my reaction which was basically to yelp loudly while getting knocked on my ass. Anyway, so far everything looks fine, the swelling seems to be going down quickly, the pain is very manageable now, and the purple color is quickly receding. It'll probably be a swimming-free few days for me though while I let my toe (and pride) recover.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

9 comments:

On May 18, 2010 at 6:23 PM , Anonymous said...

Wow--how many times do your parents have to tell you to "be careful"?

Glad you came through it OK. One more adventure under your belts.

Be well.

Love, Dad

 
On May 18, 2010 at 7:09 PM , Greg Rudzinski said...

Jelly fish can be a pain also. Not sure if Doc Gills recommended an anti biotic series but I would do the series if it's aboard to cover blood poisoning, staff, and what ever other unusual microbial aftermath action that you may be harboring. Stay after it.

Greg

 
On May 19, 2010 at 7:11 AM , shawn and chris said...

Oh, I miss you two. I just laughed my ass off (not at you, but with you Jacob)! Damn, just one more war wound to proudly bear to your grandchildren someday. And maybe you can work the stingray eating story version in by that point. Seriously though, stay on top of it, monitor and take care.

xoxoxo,
Shawn

 
On May 19, 2010 at 5:43 PM , Anonymous said...

PLEASE BE CAREFUL, for the millionth time! You don't need this kind of adventure under your belts...or toes.
Seriously, we love you and are very sorry to hear about this mishap.
Please email or call us when you get a chance.
Love,
Mom and Dad

 
On May 21, 2010 at 11:08 AM , Anonymous said...

didn't chandler pee on monica's foot to lessen the pain? :)

(in one of the Friends episode)

sounds like you two are doing well :)

- serena

 
On May 23, 2010 at 2:39 PM , Jay Bietz said...

Maybe the "stingray stomp" with boots would be safer?

 
On May 23, 2010 at 3:47 PM , Mac said...

damn bro! Hopefully you are feeling better now.

 
On May 23, 2010 at 5:35 PM , Naviguess said...

Hey All,

Thanks for the comments. Doing fine now, we've ducked into La Paz so that we can at least eat fresh food in the meantime (and lots of La Fuente helado).

Julia did offer to pee on the sting, but at the time I was beyond all attempts at humor, I think my response was something along the lines of 'row faster.'

Jacob

 
On June 15, 2010 at 5:13 PM , Adam Yuret said...

That is a brilliant book. I mean it basically tells you how to fix your wound and that you're a giant wuss at the same time. A+