Friday, March 26, 2010 | Author: Jacob
I thought I'd post a quick blog update on a couple of geeky boat things that I'm into right now.

1) Oceanography & Seamanship
Want to know exactly how many lbs of force it'll take to straighten your anchor rode? The optimal lookout configuration when searching for a MOB? How about the influence of vessel loading on stability? This book is great as it combines all the standard 'how to sail around the world' topics with the underlying science.



2) Antal Low Friction Rings
I spend a lot of time in chandleries staring at the blocks. Unfortunately, the prices are so high, I almost never get to actually purchase one (let alone a set!). So, I think you'll understand my excitement when I found these ring-leads. The idea (becoming increasingly common on the larger offshore racers) is that for many applications you don't actually need a block, a simple ring fairlead is fine. The advantages are huge: you save weight (not that Pisces really cares about this one), you get massive strength, there's nothing to break, and you save cost. We've ordered a few of these to play around with in a variety of different applications, and we'll keep you posted. But really, you can get a 'block' with a safe working load well over 5000lbs for under $20, how can that not be useful?!

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: